Golden Lucy's Spiral Journal

Going on 87...Savoring and Surviving the Senior Years

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Oy Channukah!

I've been wandering around somewhere between heaven and hell this holiday season. Hell is having every tooth jerked out of my lower jaw. Though I rather enjoyed valiantly (and of course, obviously) enduring the subsequent bruising, inflammation and starvation---though not enough to EVER go through this again!

Heaven has been celebrating Channukah with my family. My spirits soared when the kiddies all came home (bringing me presents!) for the festivities. Even though I couldn't chew I made some outstanding latkes for the crowd. I managed to suck and gum a few morsels and I must say I've never made easier or better potato pancakes. Here's what I did:

1. Bought and whipped up (according to box recipe) 3 packages of potato pancake mix. I used Streit's this year but any brand---including the gourmet German kind, will do. I already hear shrieks from latke purists out there. Tough noogies.

2. Bought two 16 oz packages of fresh (in the refrigerated veggie section) any flavor grated hash brown potatoes. Forget the box grater or food processor. Dumped both bags in the prepared potato pancake mix. Stirred the goop together.

3. Plopped big spoonfuls on cookie sheets lightly greased with peanut oil. Baked 'em at 350 degrees for about 40-45 minutes then put them on paper towels when they were done.

4. Briefly fried them at high heat in a bit of peanut oil in my big heavy frying pan. Voila! Quick, neat and healthy. Slathered them with homemade applesauce and low fat sour cream. Served the eager and appreciative eaters!

So here's Lucy sending you all so much love and very best wishes for the holiday season---however you choose to celebrate. I wanted to post a picture of Channukah candle lighting but the shot of my sleepy great-granddaughter Lily Ana is too precious to pass up. (Haven't we all seen little ones worn out by having just too much fun? Such memories.)

Have a safe and happy holiday!

19 Comments:

  • At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    She looks like you!
    Wishing you all good things and a great set of teeth. . .eventually!

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger Miss Cellania said…

    Lily Ana is beautiful! I wouldn't want to have missed her picture, but you CAN post more than one photo on a post, ya know. I will try your latke directions, since it seems less complicated than those purist's recipes. I think I'll hold the applesauce on mine. Happy Channukah!

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lucy

    You poor dear, I know you will be glad when all your groanings are finally over with. You deserve a break now.

    Here's wishing you a fun filled holiday season HAPPY NEW YEAR

    (ps THIS IS CHANCY)

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Blogger kenju said…

    That child is beauiful, Lucy. I'm lad you showed us her pic. I hope that you will recover soon from the tooth-pullings and that you will take to wearing a plate like a duck to water!

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Blogger Suzann said…

    Happy Hanukkah dearest Lucy, hope you are feeling better. I made latkes the other night too - so tasty. Thinking of you. Hugs across the miles.

    ps Hope your mouth is healing and feeling better.

     
  • At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Hanukkah Lucy. It already sounds pretty happy to me. Those potato pancakes sound devine; and you certainly are surrounded by lots of love. Now all you need to to is feel better...so, Happy Healing too.

     
  • At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lucy, my mouth is watering at the thought of your latkes! Sorry to hear about your teeth! I sooo hate dentists! I guess I put them in the same category as doctors and surgeons. The less I see them, the better I feel. I know this is not a good philosophy as one should see them twice a year!
    Your great granddaughter is just lovely!
    Lots of love

     
  • At 7:22 PM, Blogger millie garfield said…

    That latke recipe reminds me of how I make a potato pudding - I follow directions on the package and grate in one potato. Your latke recipe sounds nice and easy, no mess, no fuss, no grating -frozen hash browns, good idea, I'll remember that one.

    What a beautiful great grand daughter you have!!

    That teeth business is such a pain, hope it's over soon.

     
  • At 2:27 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said…

    LOL, LOL, LOL..you are a hoot, Lucy! "tough noogies"...HA HA HA...haven't heard that in a very long time...! I love your very creative approach to the Latke's problem...SOLVED, so easily by you, my dear. And I bet they were lucious...my mouth is watering just thinking about them..!
    A Very Very Happy Holiday to you my dear, and I hope your gums heal up real quick, like!

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Blogger Bev Sykes said…

    Happy Hanukkah...and may 2007 be a much better year for you!

     
  • At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a great and easy way to make latkes...which I LOVE! And if Lucy says they're good...that's good enough for me.
    Lily Ana is just gorgeous...I'm sure she's the star of the holiday.
    Here's wishing you much love, laughter and good health, Lucy. Happy Holidays to you and it was so nice to drop by and see a recent post from you. I miss you!
    Continue to feel better and return to your blog fan club.

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I remember my mom making potato pancakes. They were so very good.
    Your little great-granddaughter is so very precious. What a darling.
    Wishing you the happiest of Holidays.

     
  • At 6:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lucy, beautiful photo and such a loving family. fascinated by the latkes recipe...we're about to leave, may copy this one and try it on the other coast. many wishes for a better year for you--and less pain in the mouth!
    yours, naomi

     
  • At 1:06 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said…

    Happy Holidays to YOU, dear Lucy!!
    Your teeth woes sound mighty painful.
    God bless you and your family and that darling, precious Lily Ana.
    Let the eating begin! ...and continue...

     
  • At 10:11 PM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said…

    Happy Holidays and pain-free teeth to you, Lucy! The latkes sound wonderful. What did people do before the discovery of potatoes?

     
  • At 4:51 AM, Blogger MizMell said…

    Love your recipe with its plopping and dumping and goop. My other half's recipes always involve "flinging."

     
  • At 8:47 AM, Blogger joared said…

    Happy holiday season -- won't next year be really great with this teeth thing all behind you.

     
  • At 3:50 AM, Blogger Sky said…

    sounds yummy - must try this! hope the holidays are being delightful for you. :)

     
  • At 2:58 PM, Blogger Ginnie said…

    What a sweet little great grandaughter...I love the expression on her face. She must have been anticipating a latke or two to gum on, like you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home