Golden Lucy's Spiral Journal

Going on 87...Savoring and Surviving the Senior Years

Monday, May 01, 2006

Uff Da! More Norwegians!

I hope none of you object to one more "fun" picture. This one turned up today when Carole and I were trying to organize things in our office. When I heard Carole squeal I held my breath for a moment. One can never be sure what that kind thing means here in the Donn Dimension.

Carole turned to me holding a dusty frame with am ancient-looking sepia print.

"Look Ma!," she exclaimed. "This is one of Carol's pictures." I nodded, "That's nice dear," I said, trying to be agreeable--though I certainly couldn't see what all the commotion was about.

To make a long story short my Carole had found a long-lost glass-plate negative print made for her by one of her oldest and dearest friends. The other Carol is also a MN Norske and an artist/photographer. Many years ago artist Carol found a crate of glass negatives in the haymow of an old barn in Black Duck, MN. She printed several of the most interesting pictures as a gift for my Carole. The shot above is my Carole's particular favorite.

Both Carol(e)s believe the photos were taken around the turn of the last century. The little pioneer girl, dressed in her Sunday best is holding a tiny apple-head kitten. MamaCat is nearby. Can you see her? (Enlarging the print will help.)

Note the log cabin and gigantic cabbage plants---without Miracle Gro, yet! The other glass plate prints are fascinating as well---especially a wonderful shot of two Scandinavian immigrant hunters striding through the North Woods shouldering a big black bear slung between them on a tree branch. What wonderful pieces of Americana.

PS: The photo of the two Carol(e)s caused so many problems with the template for me that I removed it---for the moment. Jack just likes to "fix" things for me---not tell me sloooowly how to do it myself. It's a coding problem I know and I'll be danged if I'm not going to fix it myself. I'm also going to try to see if Carole can find the hunters and bear print. I'll post both one way or another. (I was going to add "if it kills me," but decided that might not be such a great idea.)










18 Comments:

  • At 12:08 AM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said…

    What a sweet picture! I just love old photographs!

    I like to stop and consider how lucky we are to have old photos. Persons my age and a little older are the first in history to be able to look at the faces of people who lived a hundred years or more before we were born. My grandmother had only paintings and etchings.

    And to think that future generations will one day have long photographic records to enjoy! It's a nice thought.

    So thanks for sharing that darling picture. It's a treasure!

     
  • At 4:40 AM, Blogger Joy Des Jardins said…

    What great photos...both of them. I especially love the old one of the little girl...it's beautiful. What a treasure. I can see why Carole was excited to find it.

    BTW...your daughter is lovely.

     
  • At 5:33 AM, Blogger Miss Cellania said…

    Yes, they are cute. What's an apple-head kitten?

     
  • At 6:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a great old photo. I love to look at them and imagine who they were, what their life was life, etc. (Guess that's the writer in me...lol)
    I didn't see a photo of the Carol's...maybe it got removed?
    Boy, can I EVER relate to your determination. (Again, HAS to be the Pisces in us!) I spent ALL day yesterday trying to figure out my stupid new printer and transferring videos....so I know that feeling "if it kills me" Determination is a good trait though...lol

     
  • At 6:09 AM, Blogger goldenlucyd said…

    Hi BG,
    Hope you are just dandy and that everybody goes to check out how adorable The Bun is. (No offense, BG, I'm talking about the bunny.) Have a great week!

    Joy,
    You're my Jov!

    Miss Cellania,
    Great to see you. I don't think Carole made up ther term "apple-head" for the kitten. She says it refers to very round headed, rather flat-faced, big-eyed cats with little ears...Maybe like a Scottish fold I guess by contrast a pure Siamese would be totally NOT an apple-head. Then again, it's within the realm of possiblity that Carole totally doesn't know what she's talking about.

     
  • At 6:11 AM, Blogger goldenlucyd said…

    It's you 'n me Terri!! :))

     
  • At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    first, lucy, many thanks for telling joan wile and me that you're with us in the snti-war struggle. timegoesby offers us a wonderful model for blogging. and you, a bit older than me, are a picture of how/where i could be up ahead. second, i love this photo, am a fan of old photos and did research about them in the 1980s. will be back, -naomi

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger EV said…

    I love old family photos - you can just get lost in them.

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger kenju said…

    I love the old photo, Lucy!

     
  • At 4:59 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said…

    Look at that precious little girl. She was someone's pride and joy, and they probably gave her that little kitty to take care of. The kitty was probably dead from suffocation within moments, but that doesn't fit into the feel of this lovely pic, so we won't go there.

    I look forward to the other pics. I don't tire of seeing interesting pics.

     
  • At 5:32 PM, Blogger goldenlucyd said…

    Thanks so much for the reminder JD. I like the way we can depend on you for a dose of reality.

    Hey, did anybody out there find the Momma Cat? She's a big girl and near the right side of the little girl. Purrrty cute, I think.
    Great hearing from you Mike and
    Kenju!

     
  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger Bev Sykes said…

    I love finds like that. What a great photo.

     
  • At 7:20 PM, Blogger goldenlucyd said…

    kyle and BPB,
    Thanks so much for the kind words. I do sppreciate them very much. Mr. Arbroath is to be also commended for his kindness---and sense of the absurd. I would love to write a memoir however I think you need a memory to do that. But thanks. Truly.
    All the best!
    lucyd

     
  • At 8:20 PM, Blogger Chancy said…

    Lucy...You can come up with some of the most interesting things to share with all of us. The photo of the little girl is priceless.

    Thanks

    Chancy

     
  • At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    About the coding problem and how some pictures may mess up your template. If the width of the photo is greater than 400 it may shift the sidebar to display at the bottom of your posts. I am not sure if this is your experience .. but I have seen this on other blogs. Keeping the photo width less than or equal to 400 usually works ok.

    I love the photo and would love to see the others.

     
  • At 8:39 AM, Blogger goldenlucyd said…

    Thanks, Coll. I need all the help I can get!
    lucyd

     
  • At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just love your humor as you share the "ordinaries" of life. Pictures or not, you're one smart, funny lady.

     
  • At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great photo, Lucy, looking forward to seeing the other ones!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home