Golden Lucy's Spiral Journal

Going on 87...Savoring and Surviving the Senior Years

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Another Surprise for Grannylu


Last week Carole announced we were all going out for a "fancy" dinner with my grandson Ben and his fiance Teresa. Carole suggested I get "dolled up" and put on some fancy duds. When Carole says "fancy" she usually means real tablecloths and napkins, bottles of good wine and an atmosphere unlike Chipotle. I dressed accordingly.

I needn't have fussed. We ended up at at a steakhouse---a Japanese steakhouse. Now I enjoy Asian food but I don't like Japanese. However, since it was a "steakhouse" I figured they might have something generic for me.

The atmosphere was anything but intimate. I was pretty sure the foot touching mine under the huge table probably didn't belong to anybody I knew. Then there was the 11 year olds birthday party at the next table---and all the under-10 guests.

We did have wine. Strange, thick syrupy stuff. I think DayQuil tastes better. Accompanying the wine was a plate of uncooked dead things I can't begin to describe.

When it was time to order I decided on chicken. How bad could that be? A few minutes later a skinny guy in a funny hat came to our table with an arsenal of sharp things clanking in his belt. He identified himself as Ti-Mi-Shu. Mr. Shu started by juggling his sharpies and setting our plates on fire. Then "Chop-Chop-Chop!" I knew better than to wait for the strolling violin player.

More "Chop-Chop-Chop". It all looked the same to me. Pieces of things were dramatically flung on our no-longer-flaming plates. Like a good girl I proceeded to eat but I began to wonder..."Where's the chicken?" Unable to identify anything for certain I surmised perhaps that large noodley whatimacallit might actually be meat. Wrong!

As it turned out Ti had dumped my meat on Teresa's plate. She had eaten it. That was fine with me as I am a dutiful grandmother who would gladly give the shirt off her back or the food out of her mouth to her grandchildren. Besides, I was done.

We left laughing. So Long Mr. Ti-Mi-Shu. It was a hoot.

23 Comments:

  • At 1:31 PM, Blogger Joy Des Jardins said…

    Lucy, this was wonderful. I'm still laughing....hysterical. What a grand trooper you are...even with the food taken right out of your mouth. BTW, I love the picture....pretty much says it all!

     
  • At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I thought this was just hilarious! What's your take on sushi?

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger goldenlucyd said…

    Darn that Larry Olaf!
    He's always sneaking into my computer! I don't know what he's talking about up there. HE loves sushi!
    lucyd

     
  • At 7:00 PM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said…

    Well, it may not have been where you would've chosen to go, but you have such a refreshingly upbeat attitude toward new experiences! Some people start ossifying at a disturbingly young age. And here you are at an age where no one would fault you for closing yourself off to new experiences, but you keep on.

    That must be what's keeping you young!

    Too bad you didn't get your chicken, though. I hope Teresa at least gave you a good report on it so you were able to enjoy it vicariously.

     
  • At 9:36 PM, Blogger Chancy said…

    It had to be "Benihana"

    "Benihana
    Japanese cuisine Restaurant chain featuring sushi, teppanyaki, hibachi, and other Japanese cuisine prepared by knife-wielding tableside chefs"

    Not my cup of tea either :)
    But you are such a good sport Lucy.

     
  • At 9:46 PM, Blogger goldenlucyd said…

    Darling Chancy,
    And HUNGRY one!
    Best love,
    lucyd

     
  • At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    GrannyLu.. well,we still haven't had our lunch date- I guess sushi is out of the question? By the way-what is your favorite food? Hmm, I never have asked you that...loveyou, auntietob

     
  • At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh my God Lucy! I am laughing my head off and what a way to start my day......I am addicted to your blog.........

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm still chuckling, Lucy. Your infectious humor always bubbles over.
    I sure give you credit for being such a good sport! I'm afraid I couldn't do suschi....my husband calls it "bait." It seems to be a popular, trendy, food....but one I'll pass on.
    And not even a decent wine you had....you ARE a good sport!

     
  • At 10:39 AM, Blogger Roberta S said…

    One thing about you, Lucy, is you're authentic. True blue, through and through. When you speak of taking the food out of your mouth and the shirt off your back - you don't just preach it, you do it! I got a grand chuckle out of the surprising turn of events in this story. :D

     
  • At 3:33 PM, Blogger GUYK said…

    Problem with eating chicken in those Asian places is that some of those chickens used to meow instead of cluck

     
  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger goldenlucyd said…

    Thanks for the great comments. You're all TOO kind. But don't stop now.

    And Guy, you just made me so happy I missed the meat!

    The very best to all of you dear people...
    lucyd

     
  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger Chancy said…

    guyk said

    'Problem with eating chicken in those Asian places is that some of those chickens used to meow instead of cluck"
    ----------------------------------

    Oh Lucy ...that comment is soooo funny. You attract the wittiest people with your blog.

    chancy

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger goldenlucyd said…

    Chancy. I agree! And you're one too!
    PS Great comments by "the troops" on TGB...

     
  • At 3:59 PM, Blogger JunieRose2005 said…

    Lucy,

    Just found your Blog from Joy's list of favorites!


    :) I WILL be back to read more!

    Junie

     
  • At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just want to know if the person playing footsie might have been a handsome elder blogger with evil intent? Well, could happen you know.

    Our little town now has a Japanese restaurant. I went there once, but I guess I don't like sitting around a u shaped counter watching someone prepare my food while I try to make clever conversation.

     
  • At 5:15 PM, Blogger goldenlucyd said…

    Maria,
    Promises, Promises!

    It is impossible for Maria to be anything but clever. And that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
    lucyd

     
  • At 5:32 PM, Blogger Suzann said…

    Lucy - you are unique and original - I did more than LOL at this post - hugs from.....

    Suzann - who is still holding her sides

     
  • At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can't resist adding another comment, Lucy.

    My son has been wanting to intro me to sushi for the longest time, but has cautioned it must be "good sushi." He was here for a quick weekend visit recently. We ventured to a new restaurant nearby, which passed his assessment on all fronts once we went in, coincidentally talked with the owner, ordered and then ... A T E the sushi. I LOVED IT!

    Remember that commercial with Mikey, "Try it you'll like it!"

     
  • At 10:38 PM, Blogger goldenlucyd said…

    Thanks for sharing Joared. My family is mad for sushi and have enjoyed it for over 30 years. My fear and aversion to it has become such a joke I'll lose face if I actually eat and GD forbid...LIKE it!
    So thanks, but I have my pride.

     
  • At 5:50 AM, Blogger kenju said…

    Lucy,
    I laughed when I read your comment about the pointy bras in the 50's.

    I barely needed one then, but I remember my mom wearing one with concentric circles seamed into the cups. It stood out like ice cream cones.....lol.

     
  • At 11:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I just got my daughter to eat sushi for the first time. I was very impressed.
    However it took me over 30 years to try sushi;, being from Ohio myself - we don't do that kind of thing there.

    My oh my how the west has changed me.

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger goldenlucyd said…

    Chantel,
    I'm also from Ohio and I KNOW we don't do that kind of thing!

    But, I guess I'll have to admit the West has changed me too.
    Thanks for checking in,
    lucyd

     

Post a Comment

<< Home