Golden Lucy's Spiral Journal

Going on 87...Savoring and Surviving the Senior Years

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

You'll Kill Yourself!

I've always operated on the "dead in the street" principle. This means I automatically imagine the worst-scene scenario when it comes to physical safety and the likelihood of danger and disaster. I can't help it.

When I was a child I was taught (not to contradict Mr. Rogers--whom my grandchildren quoted when I expressed concern) that I could actually go down the bathtub drain. I guess I've always considered water pretty dangerous stuff because I religiously taught my son Jack that anything over his knees was "certain drowning depth." He's still resentful.

In reaction, it seemed to me, he was almost downright irresponsible when it came my grandchildren's safety. They were allowed to touch hot ovens, crawl up steep stairs, climb towering trees and just generally decide what they felt safe and confident doing.

Whenever I visited I tried to bring some sanity to what I considered a dangerous situation for the children. "Make sure your shoelaces are tied," I'd remind my granddaughter as we stepped on the escalator. "Your leg will get cut off if your shoelace gets caught." Although she giggled hysterically it made a lot of sense to me at the time. However, I think I've learned to relax a bit.

I'll always be vigilant but I was pretty proud of myself this weekend. Our family spent 3 days at a nearby ski resort. Everyone was there---children, grandchildren and great-grandkids. The only folks who didn't ski or snowboard were Darling Lily Ana-age 1, Jack, who only skiis uphill and Granny Lucy who knows snow is just frozen water! Anyway, the things I saw and heard about my family doing on that mountain should have sent me into cardiac arrest.

But I even surprised myself. Mostly I just said, "Don't talk about it!" But of course they did---embellishing things, I'm sure for my benefit. The thing is, that for the first time in my life I'm choosing to share pleasure, fun and happiness instead of anxiety, fear and pessimism. I certainly don't mean to say it's an easy choice---it feels so familiar and comfy to react to things negatively---(and deep down I still believe my fears are well-founded.)

I guess getting older has made me willing to embrace the philosophy of, "I'd rather be happy than right." At least I'm trying to do that every day. And I think I'm finally getting it.

15 Comments:

  • At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just love reading your stuff!!
    All our kids are teachers and two of which are poets and one of those is a writer. As they say, I know what good is! You are very good. Keep it up....write about anything and I'll be happy.

     
  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger goldenlucyd said…

    not..
    Thanks so much! That means a lot. As long as I can think, I'll write. After that, somebody stop me!
    Lucy

     
  • At 4:07 AM, Blogger Sky said…

    Great posting. Gosh, do I identify with you. I came from "worry" stock, and I have continued it. My husband is totally opposite and looks on the bright side, always expecting the best results. He is having more fun. I am going to try to join him! :)

     
  • At 4:27 AM, Blogger Suzann said…

    Being happy trumps right everytime! I really enjoy reading your blog, Lucy. Thanks.

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger goldenlucyd said…

    Sky and Suzann and Stella Dears,
    I'm so excited when I see comments. It's like opening a present. At this time in my life nothing means more to me than being listened to in a non-patronizing way. Thank you, my friends.
    ATB,
    Lucy

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger Joy Des Jardins said…

    Oh what a joy you are Lucy! I love this post. Your family is truly blessed to have you...anxiety-ridden or not....and I guarantee you; they know it. I have a tendency towards making sure nothing or nobody falls through the cracks too. Vigilant is a good word. My motto is "You can never be too cautious," especially since I often sense things before they happen. Even at that, I've learned over the years to let go of some of it too Lucy. And, I would agree, happiness trumps everything...even at the expense of our intuitive natures.

     
  • At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lucy,
    You are not alone. Worry is what most of us do best. I have photos of my children and their cousins at various ages in the Pacific Ocean up to their knees because that was as far as I would let anyone go.
    Life does have its twists and of course all them have been surfers at one time or another. Like you, I don't want to hear about it.

    Sounds like a wonderful trip.

     
  • At 2:04 PM, Blogger kenju said…

    It is good to be that way, Lucy. My husband and one of my daughter's are always doomy and gloomy and worrying about what MIGHT happen. I say that with a healthy dose of caution - we will be fine and if we are not - what could we do about it?

     
  • At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Isn't this encouraging? We are never too old to learn something new! ;)
    I am a great worrier too. But I try to keep my worrying to myself too.

     
  • At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Really enjoy your blog, Lucy! I love the humor you inject into your stories. You keep me laughing.

     
  • At 12:13 AM, Blogger Roberta S said…

    You made me realize something, Lucy. I guess I have to back off and approach this at a different angle. I wanted to be happy, but I also wanted to be right. Now I know why it isn't working so well. Thanks for the insight.

     
  • At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Luncy--As your polar opposite in the worry department, I can assure you that some of us non-worriers still want to be right. We just want to be right about different things, I guess. Raising children must have been a horrifying experience (as well as rewarding, of course) for one so well-founded in anxiety. Glad that you're learning to take a deep breath and relax. None of us gets out of life alive, so we may as well enjoy the trip! Good luck to you!!
    Cop Car

     
  • At 10:22 AM, Blogger goldenlucyd said…

    Roberta and Cop Car,
    I have only one thing to say to you both: "You made my day!"

    Thanks, many thanks!
    ATB
    Lucy

     
  • At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

  • At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

Post a Comment

<< Home