Golden Lucy's Spiral Journal

Going on 87...Savoring and Surviving the Senior Years

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

My Way

It was the blind leading the blind. Carole and I were trying to figure out how to put more photos and start posting the "links I love" on my blog. We couldn't even find the tutorial Jack left on the desktop to assist us while he's out of town. We were sure it was there the last time we looked, but suddenly it wasn't. I said I thought it must have gotten up and snuck off to the odd sock and sharp scissor dimension. I said that we should give up and have some Girl Scout cookies.
Carole didn't appear to find my suggestions particularly helpful---or amusing.


She just kept fiddling around with the computer, insisting that if her 9 year old nephew could figure it out what to do she could too. I guess I'm just not that proud anymore; I voted to wait until Jack comes home. I also reminded Carole that it was my blog and that if I didn't get it jazzed up for months it would be fine with me. "Anyway," I said, "I like writing on other folks' blogs just as well." Ah, but there's the rub. The kids are getting proprietory.

When Jack and Carole encouraged me to write a blog and offered to assist I was very anxious for their help. However, now that I can handle most posts without a problem I get irked when they offer unsolicited advice. It usually has to do with my writing. For example, Carole will often ask "Is this really what you meant to say?" Remarks like that are neither encouraging nor helpful to me. I call them a pain-in-the-tuches.

"Get your own blog if you don't like it, " I reply testily. She insists she doesn't have the time to devote to doing a well-written blog. Even so, she says she has a title for one if she ever decides to make the commitment. Do I like "Am I my Mother's Keeper?" (Heck no! She's the one always losing her keys and missing appointments.)

I correctly intuit an impasse.

Carole believes I can't be trusted to relate my stories in an objective manner. She is so right. But until she 's willing to put herself out there you'll hear things my way. The way I like it.

12 Comments:

  • At 1:21 AM, Blogger Tabor said…

    I came to your blog by way of SKY and am glad I found you. I was in Las Vegas last week and met with my husbands relative who is 85 and doesn't blog but would like to. I do so wish I lived there so I could help her get started!

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger goldenlucyd said…

    Thanks you all for posting! Glad to meet you, Tabor.
    I just must share a chuckle. Maria suggested I open comments a long time ago. It was at the "food:good---fire:bad phase in my blog development so I couldn't figure it out. But I'm proud to announce, Ta-Daaa!! I just did it.
    It almost didn't happen though. The first thing that caught my eye on the settings page was a highlighted blue tab that said: "Republican Index." I figured I'd been sent to the wrong page for sure! It took a moment, and a better look for the truth to sink in: "Republish Index." Whew! that had me going for a minute.

     
  • At 3:26 PM, Blogger Kay Dennison said…

    Hey, girlfriend! I like your style! And you are 100% right -- it's your blog and you can do as you wish. Isn't it crazy when our daughters decide to run our life but we got accused of doing just that if we so much as made a suggestion not so long ago? Take your time building your blog. I'm an old internet hack but this is new for me & without the help from some blogging friend (a nod to AQ) & Blogger's fine help utility, I'd be lost. Keep the great posts coming, my friend! I need the smiles! Kay

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Blogger kenju said…

    That's the way I like it too! My kids think I give out too much information on my blog (and I try not to); they are afraid of crooks and identity thieves. I tell them that the blog world is not like that at all - and they call me naive.

    I write what I want - mostly - I just keep them out of it.

     
  • At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just to show you that this is NOT a Republican index ;)
    Am still giggling! This sort of thing happens to me all the time.
    It's so nice to be able to choose your REAL identity!
    Thanks Lucy!

     
  • At 11:14 PM, Blogger Roberta S said…

    Lucy, I can so-o-o relate to everything you said. As long as I can post and put a comment here and there, I'm in no big hurry to get into other stuff. I'm pleased you're going to write what you want, how you want. Editors sometimes flatten the real flavor of what someone wants to say for the sake of 'greater clarity'. Guess I'm a bit opinionated as well. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed this latest rant and I'm looking for more.

     
  • At 2:52 AM, Blogger Sky said…

    LOLOLOL...Lucy you are a stitch! And, if my settings has a "Republican Index" well, I would simply have to LEAVE BLOGLAND! Washington DC is enough for me! :)

    You have learned so much it is remarkable! GOOD FOR YOU! For those who have had little to no experience with computers and/or software it is like walking onto a different planet. The automation of some of our social work programs scared one of my employees into leaving her employment.

    I am really enjoying reading your blog and the chuckles your sense of humor incites!

     
  • At 6:38 PM, Blogger goldenlucyd said…

    Many, many thanks to all of you! It's so wonderful to hear from you---it truly is a new world for me.
    Lucy

     
  • At 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So-o glad I can write now! I'm not a blogger and was thrown when the only option offered was "blogger". Anyway, you are a pip and I just love to read your accounts of life within your family. I think you are so very good that you should be writing a regular feature for AARP or other magazine. You're a role model and I happily look forward to your writings.

     
  • At 8:11 AM, Blogger goldenlucyd said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 3:34 PM, Blogger Chancy said…

    Lucy ..."Don't change a hair for me" as the song goes. Your spunky personality comes through loud and clear on your blog. Keep up the good work

    I started my blog www.driftwoosinspiration.blogspot.com , last year and I still don't know how to post links to some of my favorite blogs on my page. When I find out I will be sure to link to your blog.

    Cheers

    Chancy

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home