Golden Lucy's Spiral Journal

Going on 87...Savoring and Surviving the Senior Years

Friday, November 09, 2007

Are We Having Fun Yet?


I think I missed tomorrow. I promised to post pix of our lovely family dinner "tomorrow". Alas, it was not to be. I can smile about it now but the last few days have been extremely hard on a control freak like me. I like to know what's going on. I have advice and questions you know!

In any case, Jack called last Friday afternoon and said dinner was off for the evening. Carole wasn't feeling well. No shit---as the kiddies say. She'd just been in a traffic accident. It wasn't her fault but the car was totalled, Carole was in the hospital and they thought the dog was dead after hitting the windshield. Carole wasn't feeling well---no doubt.

But they didn't tell me what had really happened until Sunday. "We didn't want you to worry." Jack explained. Oh GD! I thought. Now I have two days of worrying to catch up on! There was no making him understand. His response was hardly comforting. "Ma, if you're going to carry on like this we'll never tell you anything." What a Catch 22.

It was a horrible, terrible accident. I WANT to carry on. I NEED to carry on. It makes me feel better to carry on. But the kids say it makes them feel terrible and like they want to kill me when I ask questions and worry. "It's all fine and taken care of," they insist. "What's done is done!" They are very annoyed with me and all I want is for everybody to be OK. I'm very upset.

Fast forward to yesterday. Carole is still in pain from the 150 mph impact of the airbag cover. However she's tall and the cover hit her chest, not her face. (I briefly considered the cover would probably fly right over my head.) However, happily her head didn't hit the windshield and she's aching but fine. Samthedog was not so lucky in that respect. He did hit the windshield and get a bit loopy--but still seemed fairly functional. When Carole's sister took him to the dog park for a walk later that night, Sam simply disappeared in the underbrush. Everyone thought his brain had swelled up and that he'd crept away to die.

But no. Sam is a terrier and refuses to do anything he doesn't want to. Somehow he survived 3 below freezing nights in the mountain brush. On the fourth day he was reported by a homeowner who hadn't been able to get close to him. Long story short, the police contacted Jack re his missing dog report. The kids went over to the neighborhood where Sam had been spotted and ultimately he came to their calls. Dirty, hungry and a nervous wreck he was ready to go home. And play ball. Yes, before eating, drinking or sleeping he wanted to play fetch. I guess you'd have to have a terrier to understand that. GD knows I can't figure it out.

Boy. what a long explanation for why I didn't post pictures. But there you are. Life in the Donn Dimension. Always a party. And speaking of that, I need to start talking about my holiday housewarming. Can you come?


18 Comments:

  • At 4:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I woukd love to come to your housewarming but Astor, Florida is to far way. My children don't tell us anything either and then when we find out from a slip of the tongue they say "didn't we tell you". I guess they want to spare us but it makes us wonder what we're missing. I'm so glad Carol & Sam will mend and that you're there to worry about them- everyone needs someone to worry about them.

     
  • At 7:38 PM, Blogger SavtaDotty said…

    Thank G_d they survived the accident. I tell my kids I LIVE to worry, but I know they still keep me in the dark plenty.

    We raise them to think independently and then complain when they do!

     
  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger kenju said…

    I'd love to come to your party, Lucy!

    I am sorry to hear about Carole and I hope her soreness goes away soon. That's one more reason I like being tall (airbag goes to the chest, not the face).

     
  • At 6:06 AM, Blogger Endment said…

    What a story you share - the fear of every parent -

    May your new home be blessed

     
  • At 12:43 PM, Blogger Chancy said…

    I am glad Carole and Sam the dog will be OK but what a terrible thing for them to go through.

    I am coming to your housewarming and I plan to bring my sleeping bag so I can sleep over. :)

    My son has two terriers, Jack Russells, so I DO understand. Sam was just working through all his worries by playing fetch.

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger millie garfield said…

    What a fright - An accident shakes everyone up. Glad to hear that Carol and Sam are coming along.

    I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures and I want to hear more about your new place.

    Is it a senior residence, are meals included and do they have planned programs? What's the average age of your neighbors?

    If I could xome to your open house I could get all my questions answered but since I can't make it, you'll have to blog about it. ;-)

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I too would love to come to your housewarming party, unfortunately, Paris, France is a bit faraway. That car accident was frightening. A good thing that everyone is OK! But to think of what they had to go through!
    And you a worrier! ;)

     
  • At 4:43 PM, Blogger kenju said…

    Lucy, I am grateful to you from the bottome of my heart for the lovely comment tonight - but I hope you know that I didn't write that funny post. It came in an email and I just stole it. Hope that doesn't burst your bubble...
    LOL. I love being adorable!!

     
  • At 6:59 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said…

    Oh Lordy, Lucy! I know it could have been much worse, BUT....this was bad enough! I hope Carole starts to feel much better very very soon...And that samthedog has no lasting effects pf his horrible experience!
    A Party? You bet I'll come!

     
  • At 11:11 PM, Blogger joared said…

    Boy! When you have excitement at your place, you don't fool around. Sure glad to hear Carole is doing so well and she continues to get even better. As for Sam, the dog's disappearing act, he may have had a concussion, became disoriented. That cold weather may have been the best thing for his poor bruised brain -- reducing swelling, etc. Glad he's back and seems okay now with no behavior changes.

    Thank gawd they finally told you a bit about the accident so you could get busy worrying and whatever all else you do. There's little doubt the fact they all came through this as well as they did, is probably attributable to your big time worrying. You'd think they'd be more appreciative of your efforts.

    Look forward to hearing more about the holiday housewarming party. I assume you're having it in the blogosphere, in which case I'll sure make every effort to be there. Will have to coordinate it with some plans of my own outside the blogosphere.

     
  • At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, Lucy! I'm so terribly sorry to read about all of this and I'd say you're pretty darn justified to do the worrying you do.
    Thank goodness Carol is okay...from the looks of the car, well....I think you were right to worry.
    And what a terrible story about poor Sam the dog! SO glad all ended okay there. Poor little doggie. And my Duncan is a terrier, so I know what you're saying....he'd rather play fetch than anything.
    I sure hope things calm down at your place. And I'd love to come to your housewarming. Do you need a new pair of worry beads?

     
  • At 11:59 PM, Blogger Maya's Granny said…

    What a lot of excitement! So glad that Carole and Sam are getting better and that Sam is finally home. That had to be hard on the family, thinking he had been lost.

     
  • At 11:18 AM, Blogger Kay Dennison said…

    Oh my!!!! I'm glad Sam and Carole are going to be okay. I'm sure you've had some scary moments through all this!!!!

    As to your housewarming, I'd love to come but, alas, unless it's here I won't be there. If it's here -- just let me know the proper attire. I hate to look out of place. LOL

     
  • At 12:11 PM, Blogger Rain Trueax said…

    Wow, I am glad Carole and Sam are okay but how frightening and no wonder you feel stressed over it. As parents we often end up being put in a no win situation for how we respond. Like if we say we don't care, would they prefer that? I think not. Anyway the good news is all ended well but very very upsetting to imagine how easily it would not have

     
  • At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You wouldn't be you if you didn't worry loudly! Thank goodness everyone is going to be okay. . . even you (Writing helps)

    I haven't been around to read your posts for awhile so I have been reading and reading and catching up.

    Lucy, I admire your independent spirit and I wish the best for you in your new apartment.

    Take pride in that healthy questioning mind of yours, the sharp wit, and your ability to laugh at life. . . even as you write about a bad time. Control freak,maybe, but a loving Mom, even more so.

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is terribly worrisome.. and you have every right to voice your concern. Thank goodness everyone, including little Sam, are now doing so much better.

     
  • At 12:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

  • At 12:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

Post a Comment

<< Home