Golden Lucy's Spiral Journal

Going on 87...Savoring and Surviving the Senior Years

Friday, November 02, 2007

Prison Pups and Organ Recitals

Hello, hello, hello! If you are reading this I'm eternally grateful for your faithfulness. If you're not, well I'm sorry I'm such a faithless correspondent. I just do what I can as far as posting is concerned but I'm ever the avid appreciator of my friends' adventures. So what did I do to entertain myself before the Internet? (Don't start fantasizing---I'm pretty conventional.)

In any case, here I am in my lovely new apartment. No dogs; no unexpected vistors;; no surprises. WHERE THE HECK ARE THEY??? Just kidding. I'm enjoying the simplicty of my new apartment life. It's relaxing and it gives me a chance to reflect on things instead of waiting for the new puppy to pee on my ankle.

Speaking of puppies I have a great story. Carole got a beautiful standard poodle by default. Just how is not that interesting but Rashi is magnificent----even if he tries to pee on my ankle. The kids sent him to the Canon City prison dog training program to teach him basic German Shepherd---sit; lie down; stay. Rashi was assigned to an inmate in the mens' maximum security prison---Possibly a serial killer or terrorist but the fellow did a great job of training our precious pup. Rashi came home perfectly trained and even able to navigate a complicated agility course. He spent 3 days a week in the prison hospice as a therapy dog. Hopefully he will continue that in hospitals and hospices here. He's so kind and loving. But thankfully he lives elsewhere. As you can see from the picture he is banished to the outside of my building.)


So that's the Rashi story---and just one of trivial tales I could share. However, I'm happy I can share something beside the "organ recitals" I often hear (and attempt to avoid) of my peers. Most days I still feel vibrantly alive----which makes me feel both grateful and terrified. I'm not interested in cards and gossip. I still want to argue about politics and the economy. I only pray I'll kick the bucket before I lose the ability to do so---and I don't regard that alternative as a depressing thought.


We're having erev Shabbat here tonight. We'll look over the city lights and the fabulous night-time terrace view and I'll give special thanks to GD for my life, my family and YOU!! Have a grand week!


Your loving lucyd


PS: I'm going to post Shabbat pix from tonight. Tomorrow. But for now here's a picture of Rashi and his girlfriend. They'll be having babies in the next few months. The puppies are called Sheepoodles---Old English Sheepdogs and Poodles---NO shedding and superior intelligence. Or so they say. At least those leaky pups won't be up here with me!

14 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home