Golden Lucy's Spiral Journal

Going on 87...Savoring and Surviving the Senior Years

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Goin' Fishin'

Hi There! Lucy here---relatively healthy, relatively sane and always aspiring to be grateful. Just bits and pieces today as I'm waiting to go fishing. I wrote a fishing blog last week while I was wallowing in self-pity. I had the flu and felt every ache and pain of my 84 years and then some.

My daughter-in-law Carole and her sister Sue are North Dakota Norwegians. That means you suck it up and don't you dare try to make it somebody else's fault. I hate that about North Dakota Norwegians---or anybody else, for that matter. I absolutely adore making my misery the responsibility of others. But I digress...and I also love doing that.

In any case, I felt icky for at least two weeks. Not finding an audience for my whining and complaining I determined to find something enjoyable to think about while everybody ignored my obvious pain.

I was 40 before I went fishing. I'd never considered doing it...it was hardly part of my urban/shetel mindset. Then I met Ted. He introduced me to both baseball and fishing---for which I'm eternally grateful. (Excuse me. Here I must inset a note to The Eternally Young and Lovely Naomi at
http://sitteninthehills64.blogspot.com/. No, Naomi, I never married Ted. But I wish I had---though it may not have made such a dramatic story!)

The original point is, I love fishing and will expound on it in my blog, "Lucy and the Art of Fishing," soon to be appearing on this site. However, I must have pictures to actually prove my ability and those are not immediately available. But they will be soon and I hope I look really young.

Is this a blog or merely a promise of a blog? Both, I hope. Please stay with me in spirit by looking "on the bright side of life." No, not the "Blight side"... the Bright Side. Yes. Please try. We all hurt. We all regret and we all fear. But none of those things must rule how we live---at least 51% of the time! And No! That's not easy for me to say. So promise me you'll try!

Here's a picture that made me happy yesterday. My granddaughter was hosting her Dutch pal in Manhattan. I hope we can all remember and continue to enjoy the riches of dear friends!

18 Comments:

  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger Joy Des Jardins said…

    I'll be looking for "Lucy and the Art of Fishing." I'm sure we'll all learn a lot. Hey, I think you should call it "Reel Life with Lucy." Haha....or "Lucy's Surreel Life." Now that would go over in today's market. Take care sweet Lucy...love the pic.

     
  • At 10:36 AM, Blogger Suzann said…

    Lucy - great post - my mother in law was a North Dakota Norwegian - I know just what you mean. Tom's father was Irish and Tom always used to say that the "Irish saved him." Glad you are feeling better - have missed you. Looking forward to hearing more about Ted and fishing. And isn't Joy's comment above just a hoot too. Take care sweetie. Suzann

     
  • At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oofta! So Carole is one of those hard-headed Norvegans. Growing up Irish in Minneapolis was an experience too. I learned to suck it up real fast. Not that anyone was mean or anything like that. It was just that all those Swedish and Norweigan (sp) girls were so tall, so blonde, and so beautiful. I was short, dark, and had this awful curly hair.

     
  • At 4:17 PM, Blogger goldenlucyd said…

    Darling Maria,
    Please reference wire-haired granddaughter on top left. Also, Caolre reports that all those tall heenage Norwegian girls longed te be short, cute, Irish cheerleaders. I wasn't tall, cute, Irish, Norwegian and I most certainly was not a cheerleader. Wahhh-wahh-wahh!

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Chancy said…

    Lucy.. I can't wait for your fishing stories and I am so glad you are all better.

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger kenju said…

    Very pretty girls they are! Lucy, I am glad you are feeling better than you were. Take care - and I am looking forward to the photos.

    My aunt took me fishing when I was six, and I had beginner's luck!

     
  • At 4:10 AM, Blogger Endment said…

    I have to first send you a bundle of sympathy - for some reason - it never seems to hurt :)
    I am looking forward to your fishing report and your fishing book!

     
  • At 8:34 AM, Blogger Rain Trueax said…

    Sorry to hear you were ill but glad you are feeling better. The girls are beautiful.

    That is so cool on you fishing. I will look forward to seeing the photos. I began to learn to fly fish a couple of years ago but have yet to get good at it. I do have a picture of me fishing on Slough Creek in the Lamar Valley Yellowstone Park. My husband is an accomplished fly fisherman as are my son and son in law. I love watching people who are good at it while I sit on a rock along a river. Fly fishing is an art form to me. They practice catch and release with barbless hooks. Which is all I'd ever do as I am not fond of eating trout-- too many bones.

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger JunieRose2005 said…

    Lucy,

    I enjoyed your post.

    Sorry you have been not feeling well.

    All young People are beautiful to me! Both those girls are cuties! :)

    Junie

     
  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said…

    I was worried about you Lucy...and was hoping that you had not had a relapse! Living with a chronic illness I know how debilitating it can be and as we get on...(in years, I mean) these things get harder and harder....Oh and BTW: You can whine and complain anytime you want to some of us out here in the Blogesphere! I'm not Norwegian and I pride myself on "feeling" things very deeply including 'sorry for myself', sometimes....So you just go on and whine away, my dear...anytime you need to....It's good for the soul sometimes, you know?

    AND BTW: Blogger has been a real bitch!! So, it's not you, dear Lucy...it's them...!

    Thanks for telling me tat you did not marry Ted...but, at least you had a special person that enriched your life trememdously...Thank God for these wonderul relationships!
    I look forward to seeing: "Lucy Fishing"..A Photographic Essay.

     
  • At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Really is the pits when you can't get any pity, but don't let that stop you from trying to do so. Gives others the opportunity to explore feelings about you they might not otherwise have! ;-) Life is for feeling, you know, whatever those feelings are!

    Yes!! I, too, look forward to those fish tails/tales -- tall or short. Pictures, too??? That's almost too good to be true. Another demonstration to the doubters, that we were, indeed, young...once upon a time.

     
  • At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm SO glad you're feeling better, Lucy. And what's wrong with those Norwegians anyway? Not allowed to complain? Hmmm, never heard of such a thing. Thought that us women were just born with that gene, no?
    Look forward to your fish stories with photos.
    Your granddaughter is just gorgeous! I bet she had a great experience with her Dutch pal.
    Stay well!

     
  • At 9:52 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said…

    I can definitely manage the "bright side" 51% of the time.
    I promise.
    I am glad you are feeling better. I knew you had the flu, but I had no idea that no one was around to help you wallow in your suffering. It is okay to wallow and be pitiful 49% of the time... right?
    I have gone fishing all my life. I enjoyed it so much as a kid, and I still enjoy it. The fun part is the catching.

     
  • At 5:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great looking gals.. and good advice bout the 51% - i'm all for starting a Lucyd movement.

    Let's go fishing... can't wait to read more.

     
  • At 10:55 AM, Blogger Chancy said…

    lol @ Lucy and Lucyd movement

    Lucid too ;)

     
  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger Beverly said…

    I'm glad you're feeling better. Those girls are lovely. Friendship is wonderful. My best friend moved away, and I get to go visit her in Chicago for about a week...can hardly wait.

     
  • At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My parents once owned a cottage and every summer many hours where spent in the company of a fishing pole. My favourite fishing times where simply casting off the dock in the early mornings or evenings. Everything was so still.. except for the wipe of the reel and the small splash of the hook. If we were lucky we were able to catch Jack, Pickeral, Bass and Perch from that deck. Some we ate.. many were thrown back in.

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger GUYK said…

    Miss Lucy, a BAD day on the water beats hell out of a GOOD day at work. I have a hard time truting people that don't like to fish...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home