Golden Lucy's Spiral Journal

Going on 87...Savoring and Surviving the Senior Years

Thursday, May 03, 2007

A Gift for Lucy

What am I saying? At my age every day I wake up with my wits about me is a gift. You bet! I hear the birds singing and scolding; I see the sun--sooner or later and I look forward to saying "Good Morning" to whoever will listen. But the truth is some days are better than others.
This week started on a stinky note. Monday morning I raced as usual to my computer to start reading all my favorites. What's this? A blank screen? Perhaps I pushed the wrong button. But no. The thing is dead as a dodo. I summon DIL Carole with desperate insistence. She rushs into my room suspecting (perhaps even hoping) I've glimpsed the Grim Reaper. "Well!" she muttered, fiddling with the infernal machine, "This is the blind leading the blind." Indeed. Nothing to do but wait for Dr. Science.

Alas. Even Jack couldn't bring the dead back to life. It was dead, dead, dead. What to do now? Better weigh the matrix. Buy a new computer? Sure. As soon as a I pay off my new teeth and auto transmission. Not to mention the hefty check I'd sent to my grandson Ben and his lovely wife Teresa for college graduation this weekend. I concluded I needed to let my bank balance recover a bit before investing in a new machine---a responsible albeit deeply depressing decision.

I dragged through the next two days feeling uncharacteristically sorry for myself. How could I miss an inanimate object so much? Addiction is a ugly thing. But happily I didn't have to wait long for a fix. Yesterday I walked into my room and was overjoyed to find a sleek new computer sitting on my table. Oh joy, oh joy! I guess my kids really do love me! It took a bit of time to get things up and running but I'm back cruising the net at top speed.

Yippee for me!

16 Comments:

  • At 1:10 PM, Blogger kenju said…

    Yippee, indeed! We have missed you, Lucy!

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said…

    I know exactly how you feel. Congrats on the new computer!

     
  • At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome back to the blogosphere, Lucy! I was deprived of my Internet connection for an entire day and almost went berserk!
    Congratulations on the new computer!

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Blogger Joy Des Jardins said…

    You bet they love you; and we love them for ending your misery. They know how much joy you get from your visits to your blogging friends....and vice versa. Looks like you'll be in business for quite some time to come Lucy. Big blogging hugs to you dear lady.

     
  • At 4:29 AM, Blogger MizMell said…

    Lord have mercy, Lucy. Sounds like we both should start be part of the ATTIC group (Addicted To The Internet & Computer). My motherboard went belly up and I managed to find a local shop that would build me what I needed in 48 hours...

     
  • At 7:01 AM, Blogger Miss Cellania said…

    Its not the inanimate object you missed. Its the people you have met through it!

    How is the housing situation decision going?

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes indeed, you are loved. As for addiction. . . well there are much worst things to be addicted to.

    As usual, I loved your post. How is that beautiful new dog doing and how is your search for an apartment coming?

     
  • At 5:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome back Lucy!! Happy days are here again!!

     
  • At 3:59 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said…

    Oh I Am Sooooo Happy For You Lucy! I understand this "addiction" ALL too well! When my computer died in November 2006, I was STRICKEN! And went into horrific withdrawel, so "I Get It", my dear...
    How wonderful that your kids understood and have once again enabled you to go on...(lol)

     
  • At 11:31 PM, Blogger Roberta S said…

    Lucy, I truly enjoy your stories and commentaries. This one was truly lovely. So nice to know that you have a loving and generous family. You have reason to be as proud of them as you are of that new computer. Congrats, on both counts.

     
  • At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Blog Addiction -- I know it well. There is no cure for this disorder. But who cares?

    Glad your back online. You look real comfy there...

     
  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger Chancy said…

    So glad you got a new computer Lucy. We miss you when you are AWOL

    Cheers.

    Chancy

     
  • At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lucy,
    I had sent you an email when I read your posting over at AARP recently, but heard nothing back from you . Now I understand, maybe your malfunctioning computer lost my email. Anyway, pleased you have a new one now and you are writing again.
    I remember you because you were one of the first to help me get started on writing blogs.
    I read some of your past blogs and suggested some places you might be interested in looking into , if you are still considering moving.
    At any rate, it's good to find you again. You are such a super person!
    Anne (from s.e. Ga. near historic Savannah, Ga.)

     
  • At 8:47 PM, Blogger Kay Dennison said…

    Hallelujah, Lucy!!!! Santa doesn't only visit in December!!!! Good to know you're up and running!!!

     
  • At 12:23 AM, Blogger joared said…

    Glad your back blogging again. Families are wonderful and sounds like yours is the best.

     
  • At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well done Lucy! I'm impressed too that you apparently do it all yourself.

    As you say, you're slow, but so what?

    Dont be apolgetic about the shopping. Anything well and cleverly described, can be interesting.

    Have you seen Olive Riley's blog which I basically post for her> She's 107, so she's excused.

    We've been talking about the depression to recently.

    I case you haven't found it, it's
    wwww.allaboutolive.com.au

    Cheers, Mike

     

Post a Comment

<< Home