Golden Lucy's Spiral Journal

Going on 87...Savoring and Surviving the Senior Years

Sunday, June 18, 2006

A BIG Surprise

Lucy is really big on celebrations. Important dates such as birthdays, anniversaries and the like deserve to be big. The bigger the better. Of course Lucy is anxious to expedite this bigness. She loves being busy making bigness. Her family does not regard this as a virtue.

Around here, June is a really big month for family occasions. Jack's BDay, Carole's BDay, Jack and Carole's anniversary and Father's day fall within 10 days. I believe that justifies four big celebrations but the kids don't even want one. Such wet blankets.

This year I decided to take matters in my own hands. I went behind their backs. I plotted. I schemed. I lied and generally did what I darned well pleased. It was great. I need to do it more often. For 3 weeks I felt like I was back in the business world what with the delegating, strategizing and administrating. (Except for my corn I almost felt like putting on my high heels again---click-click-click down the halls--ah, those were the days...)

Well anyway, the grandkids and rest of the mishpocha all pitched in and we surprised Jack and Carole with a big BDay/anniversary/Fathers' Day bash. Whispered phone conversations, knowing glances, aligning our big, fat stories and keeping Jack and Carole even more in the dark than they usually are was the prime directive. And it worked.

The party was a huge success. Jack and Carole believed they were having a quiet dinner at their favorite Italian restaurant. (Crafty Lucy gave them a gift certificate.) The whole gang was waiting for them in the Pope's Room of Bucca de Beppo and the fun began! Jack was crowned with Monty Python's Tim the Enchanter's horned headdress. Carole was presented with a brand new Punching Rabbi to replace the old one that had migrated to Manhattan. The food was wonderful, the company was better. And I was very proud of myself.

Especially after I paid the check.

22 Comments:

  • At 4:51 AM, Blogger Miss Cellania said…

    Clever you! I'm sure they will always remember this surprise. Its a kick when you know someone (you) has enough love to do all that!

     
  • At 5:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Click Click Click - Oh the power of it all.. Some people are just born to run the show and pay for it. You go girl.

     
  • At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lucy, you're a treasure! What a great thing to do for Jack and Carole. I love it!
    And I can tell YOU had just as much fun in the organizing/planning of it as they did as the recipients. Great photo. I really enjoyed it and such a handsome family.

     
  • At 8:00 AM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said…

    What a nice surprise! But it sounds like you had the most fun of all!

     
  • At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That was a "Gotcha!" Lucy and well done! Boy the Clicking brought back great memories of heels that made you six foot tall and pointed toes. Have I paid dearly for that! Bur at the time it was fun!

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said…

    Sounds absolutewly wonderful, Dear Lucy! I love the Secret Scheming Type Party's...And Bucca de Beppo! LOVE that place...I find it amazing that this is a chain and that each place looks the same as the others (pretty much) and most surprising, how really good the food is! That's a wonderful photograph and you all look like you are having a WONDERFUL time!
    Bravo to you Lucy!

     
  • At 3:05 PM, Blogger EV said…

    Your sooooo good! Sounds like a blast. Nice job. :)

     
  • At 6:45 PM, Blogger millie garfield said…

    What a beautiful group of people. And Lucy you look particularly beautiful, such joy on your face.

    Happy everything to everyone!!

     
  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said…

    Ahhh Lucy, your comment over at my blog was soooo sweet and so much appreciated my dear! You are an inspiration, my dear and I salute you by lifting a glass to you! Long May You Wave, my dear Lucy!

     
  • At 8:57 PM, Blogger kenju said…

    What the heck is a punching Rabbi?

    Thanks for the visit while I was gone, Lucy. Hope you are well.

     
  • At 11:13 PM, Blogger Roberta S said…

    Lucy, you are a crafty sneak in the sweetest way. It was great to find out the joy went all 'round -- from the celebrater to the celebratees.

     
  • At 4:22 AM, Blogger Suzann said…

    Lucy Darling- you are amazing! It is so much fun to do things for others and to surprise them to boot - fabulous. Oh, and click, click, click - love it. I remember managing restaurants a zillion years ago in those heels.....click, click, click through the kitchen and diningroom - all business and having fun. Love you madly. Thanks for the memory.

     
  • At 7:54 AM, Blogger Rain Trueax said…

    That was a great gift to surprise them that way, and the picture showed the evidence that all had fun.

     
  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said…

    You are a sneaky one! I'm sure that eveyone had a wonderful time due to your great planning.
    Fun memories!

    On Father's Day, my dad and I talked about the lyrebird.
    He had never heard of it. I sent him the link. He loves birds and was happy to find out about this one.

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger Chancy said…

    Congratulations Secret Agent Lucy for a job well done. Your medal of freedom is in the mail ;)

     
  • At 4:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Scheming Lucy? ;) A new aspect of you I discovered. Good for you! It looks like everyone had a great time.

     
  • At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lucy,
    Isn't a remarkable thing when you pull off a surprise party. The photo looks like everyone is more than having a good time and you have made wonderful memories that will live for a long, long time.

    A punching Rabbi! Is there an Irish Catholic Priest model? There are times one would come in handy.

     
  • At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love the Pope's Room at Bucca - we've done several work related events there. Always fun. I bet the party poopers loved it!

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    GrannyLu- what a wonderful time we all had!! You were so stelth & crafty about the whole thing and it came off without a hitch. Thanx for inviting me and including me in this most wonderful of family events! (p.s -and the leftovers are all gone!-yum) love your "mishpouca" daughter-- auntietob

     
  • At 9:55 PM, Blogger SavtaDotty said…

    Here's to more celebrations!

     
  • At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow.. now that sounds like fun!! :-)

     
  • At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

Post a Comment

<< Home